Monday, November 11, 2019

Service for Citizenship








The 11th of November is set aside in the U.S. for honoring those who are veterans of U.S. military service. My military service proved an invaluable experience for me. It's been over fifty years since  I slogged thru Southeast Asian mud so thick that we had to call in a huey (UH-1D helicopter) to pull the machine gunner out of where he had become stuck. Yet that experience still informs my thoughts on how to structure a compassionate and just society. We made mistakes. Undoubtedly we'll make them again. Still, I am proud that I did my best to represent the highest ideals of  our democracy  to the world by presenting a compassionate face to those I met as do U.S. servicemen all over the world today.

The pre-amble of Constitution of the United States of America defines its intent to include "promote the general welfare". Thus, our the founding fathers saw one intent of our government was to aid its citizens. This half of the relationship between citizen and government seems clear. It proposes that government has an obligation to its citizens. In the years I have been formulating my political philosophy, it has become clear to me that, for a citizen to contribute to the society as a whole, each of those citizens must have the necessary conditions to do so. It seems self evident these necessary conditions include food, shelter, and mental and physical health. For this reason I have long supported the idea of a guaranteed national income (what has become known as universal basic income - this could be supported by a Universal Transaction Tax in lieu of all other forms of tax.)

Yet the other half of the relationship between society and citizen, the responsibility of that citizen to the state (as administrated by the government) is not directly mentioned in our constitution. This is a serious, perhaps even fatal, lapse of rigor. There is, however, a proposed principle which could equitably rectify this lapse.

In his science fiction book, Starship Troopers, author and U.S. Navy vet Robert A. Heinlein postulated a society in which democratic participation is contingent upon (military) service. If you don't serve, you don't get to vote. Hear, hear! 

I don't expect to see even referendums disenfranchising voters any time soon. At the very least, measures requiring voters be veterans would have to be gradual. Yet veterans are the only group to have demonstrated their worthiness to vote by the reciprocal action in their relationship to the state of providing their service. We are the only ones who have proven our right by our service.

I don't propose that this service require willingness to bare arms. During the Viet Nam era in which I served, I greatly admired those of conscience who refused combat on grounds of personal conviction. I will always admire with gratitude the service of one of the medics in my unit who refused to carry weapons. Military service need not require a willingness to fight. Yet, for several reasons, I think that the obligation of an individual's service to society at large is best attained thru military service. Military service provides a common background of discipline,duty, and honor to all vets.

My service eventually provided me with the tools to participate more fully in our democracy. It gave me the confidence to assert my own path in life. It have me a broader view of the world by taking me places that introduced cultures different from my own. It gave me a broader view of the composition of my own society by introducing me to individuals, both admirable and not, of very different socio-economic backgrounds than my own. Eventually, my service helped secure an advanced education, a home, and ongoing medical care. These days, it also provides sufficient to give me have a low income, low impact, but desirable lifestyle.

It's currently considered good form to thank vets for their service. It always embarrasses me slightly as completely unnecessary. I am grateful for the experiences of my military service and for the benefits it accrued. I am convinced I am better, more informed citizen from my military experience. We vets earned the right to participate in our democracy. I think every one else should earn theirs too for their own benefit as well as societies. I support Universal Service. On this day of remembrance and re-dedication I commend this thought to all the men and women who honor their oath to the Constitution by their service past, present and future.









 




No comments: