Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Schroedinger Surfing

Why the title Schroedinger Surfing ?

Erwin Schroedinger was the Austrian physicist who formulated the equation used in quantum mechanics to describe how waves behave. Roughly: the equation shows how the behavior of a wave over time depends on the configuration of the energy of system in which the wave is propagating (Wikipedia: Schroedinger equation).

Many any years ago I had a brief vision. I found myself floating above a vast obsidian sea of possible decisions I could make. The sea beneath me was moving, turbulent with waves and I was moving with it. It was a glossy black beneath me so I could not tell where I was being carried. I could only shift a little to change the direction of my movement over it. It was as if  all of the possible worlds  I might inhabit were contained in the obsidian sea and by shifting the attention of my consciousness,  I could surf to the world I wanted.

No comments: